Christos Avraam makes paintings, collages and installations that explore social and political phenomena, as well as the structure and behaviors that develop in the urban environment. In his work a dense and sometimes suppressing environment constitutes the space were humans act and are represented in an illusionist, three-dimensional manner. In his later work Avraam seeks to undermine the distinction among what is considered to be the painting’s depictive content and the painting’s surface or surrounding space.
Christos Avraam was born in 1978 in Nicosia and he graduated from Athens National School of Fine Arts. He is an active member of the artist’s local society and he was the vise-president of the Cyprus Chamber of Fine Arts (2012-2015 ). His work has been presented in group exhibitions in Cyprus, Greece, Spain, United Kingdom and Russia.
He has been honored with the Art Book Prize 2012 for the illustration of the book “To the Unknown Lover” (poems by Marina Kostans). Selected works of the artist are exhibited in Plyos Museum (Russia), Saatchi Gallery(UK) and in private collections in Cyprus and abroad. He has also worked as a production manager for the development of the first Virtual Museum of Fine Arts in Cyprus.
- 2012 – Art Book Prize for the illustration of the book
- “To the Unknown Lover” (poems by Marina Kostans)
- 2018 “Bright Days” Anassa Hotel Cyprus
- 2018 “The only certainty is that nothing is certain ”Diatopos Centre of Contemporary Art Nicosia.
- 2016 “The Long March” Gloria Gallery Nicosia (Curator Dr Efi Kyprianidou).
- 2013 “Social Contract” Alpha Gallery Nicosia (Curator Dr Efi Kyprianidou).
- 2011 “Cyprus Art for Peace”, solo exhibition as part of bi-communal art-display in the Political Office of the United Nations, Nicosia, Cyprus (under the auspices of the United Nations Good Offices.
- 2011 “Sex and Breakfast” Nicosia Old City, Cyprus.
- 2010 “To the Unknown Lover” Artistic preview of the poetry book “Unknown Lover” by Marina Konstans. Nicosia, Cyprus.
- 2017 Weaving Europe: the World as Meditation – Pafos 2017. The project included an exhibition of contemporary art by Cypriot and international artists whose work involves the use of new media and digital technologies – Cyprus (Curator: Dr Efi Kyprianidou).
- 2017 “Epiphany and Truths” group exhibition at the Bookstore in Athens (Curators:Kostantinos Stoupathis and Viki Kolpetsa).
- 2016 “If not us,who? If not now ,when ? Performance “Point R “at Old Stipdad- Limassol
- 2016 “Landscape” Collaboration with the artist Nicos Gyftakis ”Gloria Gallery Nicosia (Curator: Dr Efi Kyprianidou).
- 2016 It’s the element of surprise”metamatic:taf ,group exhibition, Athens .(curator:Maria Zacharogianni).
- 2016 “Compassion” The Waiting room, group exhibition, ART ATHINA – Greece (Curators: Dr Efi Kyprianidou and Penny Monogiou).
- 2015 Compassion , on the phenomenology of being ill, group exhibition, Projectraum BETHANIEN, Berlin (Curators: Dr Efi Kyprianidou and Penny Monogiou).
- 2015 Young Artists, Papenhuder 57 Gallery, Hamburg.
- 2014 Young Cypriot artists, group exhibition, Akamandis Cultural Centre (Curator: Eleni Nicodemou).
- 2014 Alter Ego, group exhibition, Fytorio Visual Artist Association Nicosia (Curator: Dr Andri Michael).
- 2014 Anasystasi: From Greece to Cyprus, group exhibition (organized by the Embassy of Greece in Cyprus.
(Curator: Dr Efi Kyprianidou).
- 2014 The Day the Fish Came out, Michalis Kakoggianis Foundation, Athens-Greece (Curator Erato Xatzisavva).
- 2013 The God will make it sketch: 18 artistic approaches for the poems of Kostantinos Kavafis, publisher Gavrhilidis. Athens– Greece (Curator Yiannis Psychopaidis).
- 2012 “At Maroudia’s”, curated by Re Afrodite team at The Ethnological Museum – House of Hatzigeorgakis Kornesios organized by Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre and the Pierides Foundation under the auspices of the Cyprus Presidency of the Council of EU (Curator: Giannis Toumazis).
- 2012 13th Contemporary Dance Platform, Limassol, Cyprus, Set design, Sculpture for the dance piece “Declare What ” choreography by Marina Poyiadji and Treacle Holasz.
- 2011 “Art Diary-Lefkara” open art lab residency (Organizing and taking part in a two-week workshop involving European and local Artists) Concept: Happiness and Human Figure.
- 2011 “Your Granny Can Fly: Traditional Textiles into Fashion’, in the frames of EU Leonardo da Vinci / Green Village Programme, Lefkara, Cyprus (visual installations).
- 2011 “Re Afrodite” in collaboration with APOTHEKE CONTEMPORARY ΑRTS. Nicosia, Cyprus.
- 2010 “Can you sing me” by Ten Young Turkish-Cypriot & Greek-Cypriot Artists organized by Cyprus Chamber of Fine Arts (E.KA.TE.) & European Mediterranean Art Association (EMAA).
- 2009 “50th Thessalonica International Film Festival”.
- 2008 “ep4 ” held by students of Granada School of Fine Arts, Spain.
- 2007-2008: European Community Exchange Programme ERASMUS – SOCRATES in Granada School of Fine Arts, Spain.
- 2007 49 artists with the topic: “An artistic walk along Varvakio Market”.
- 2006 17 young artists, students and graduates of National School of Fine Arts of Athens “Diadromes: artistic architectural points of view” in Patra, European capital city, 2006 (Curator Yiannis Psixopaidis).